You will learn the Vipassana meditation technique and be given guidance on how to incorporate it into your daily life.
This is a 10 day non residential meditation retreat that goes at the pace that is right for you and is based on your needs.
You arrive at our centre each morning and leave each afternoon (please see approximate timings below).
Winter Retreat: Friday 29th December 2023 - Sunday 7th January 2024
2 Burgh Street, London, N1 8HF
The retreat is based on donation. Your place is paid for by someone's donation and you will have the opportunity to donate so that someone else may benefit from a future retreat.
1. Please wear comfortable clothes that will not distract anyone (and avoid wearing purfume/ aftershave as this can distract other participants).
2. We keep the center well ventilated so please bring suitable clothes/ blankets etc that will keep you warm.
3. Please bring a vegetarian lunch
4. Photo ID (passport or drivers licence)
5. Please bring a suitable support to sit on (e.g. a cushion). You may leave your support at the center for the duration of the retreat. If you need to sit on a chair, please let us know in advance so we can provide one for you. Floors are wooden so you should bring a blanket or zabuton (see below) to place in front of or under your cushion to rest your feet on so that you will be more comfortable. Some applicants have asked us to provide links to examples of suitable meditation props so we have done this below. We suggest trying a few different ones out and then choosing the one that is most comfortable for you.
It takes at least 10 days to learn the basic technique. The rules are designed to help you to learn it. The more you are able to follow them during and outside official sitting, the more progress you will make in learning and benefitting from it. Continuity of practice is key.
1. No alcohol, drugs, cigarettes or sexual activities.
2. Avoid eating meat and fish, caffeine, work, the telephone, computers and social media.
3. Talking should be kept to an absolute minimum (i.e you may speak to the teacher but not to the other participants during the retreat).
4. The entire course must be attended. This is to ensure that you have enough time to learn the full technique, that you do not miss important instructions and to avoid disruption to other participants and to the teacher. If you do not attend any part of it, you will not be permitted to continue on the course.
On previous retreats, a number of participants either didn't show up on the first day or just intended to come on some of the days (and were therefore unable to learn the full technique). Since the course is usually oversubscribed, this wasted places that other people could have benefitted from. In order to try to avoid this happening going forward, if your application is approved, we will ask you for a deposit of £195 to secure your place. Your deposit will be returned to you by bank transfer at the end of the retreat. If the retreat doesn't take place for any reason, for example due to Covid, your deposit will be refunded in full. However, if you cancel within 1 month of the start of the course or if you don't complete the course, your deposit will not be refunded or transferred.
09:00 - arrival
09:15 - 10:15 - meditation
10:15 - 10:30 - break
10:30 - 11:30 - meditation
11:30 - 11:45 - break
11:45 - 12:45 - meditation
12:45 - 14:15 - lunch
14:15 - 14:30 - discourse
14:30 - 15:15 - meditation
15:15 - 15:30 - break
15:30 - 16:00 - meditation
16:00 - end